5 Recent Favorites: Faith, Foods, and Fall Tv

Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Joining the Link-Up Crowd today and sharing a few things that I've been thinking about lately and a few that have been helpful! 

Here we go...Five Favorites :)    

1.) The September Magnificat! Last year, I bought my first magnificat subscription. To be honest, I often lose it, or am too disorganized and forget to bring it to mass. But this month, I've clung to it. Lately (always?) my mind has felt jumbled with a never ending to-do list, and it can be hard to hear God. I'm grateful to know that His love is unceasing and unfailing, even when my feelings try to tell me otherwise. There's a lot going on right now, there always is. And this little book, filled with the daily gospel readings, meditations from Church Fathers, and morning and evening prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours, has helped untangle a lot of my messy thoughts. Sometimes I only have 5 minutes to read, and sometimes I forget completely, but I can't think of a better way to start the day. And knowing I have friends across the country (and across the world!), reading these same delicate pages, and praising Jesus through ancient prayers, is a beautiful thing. 




2.) With the return of school, I've noticed that kids are starting to get sick...mine included. I'm always curious about what my friends do to boost their/their kids immune systems. This past weekend, I stocked up on a few essentials that we consistently keep in our home to try and stay healthy. My favorite foods to help with immunities are: Apple Cider Vinegar, raw garlic, lemons, ginger, local honey, and broth. Also, I stocked up on bacon...which is most definitely a health food :). 

My 8 year old is pretty laid back and will eat or try most things, but that is not the case with my 4 year old (remember that choleric temperament I mentioned?), so I usually mix in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with an emegenc-y and he'll drink it. I can also get him to eat raw garlic when I make guacamole or I add it to soup, which we eat for dinner about  once a week. Speaking of soup, learning how to make bone broth about 2 years ago was so much easier than I thought it would be. I was pretty intimidated (because I'm kinda clueless in the kitchen), but it really is easy! I'm hoping to learn more about fermented foods this year, but for now I just keep buying Bubbies Pickles and drinking kombucha. 

3.) Okay, how about we talk about a really serious topic now.....fall TV!! I've always been a huge lover of movies and tv shows. Sometimes I wish I could erase my memory and re-watch shows like Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad for the first time again...*sigh*. I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead, Parenthood, Scandal, and Nashville starting up. I'm also looking forward to binge watching Gilmore Girls when it hits Netflix in a few weeks! I haven't been keeping up on any new shows coming out...are there any new ones that look good?

4.) I loved this blog post that one of my friends posted on Facebook today. Keeping this in mind when one of my kids needs a little encouragement. It's a short and sweet read.

5.) Lastly, a few recent favorite images (with a few repeats from Instagram). The whole State of California was like an inferno last week, and it's not looking like Sacramento will be cooling off anytime soon. I never knew how beautiful the Fall could be in California until I moved here....hurry up Fall! 


 


6 comments:

  1. Great pictures! And I love Magnificat too! They have a smartphone app, which comes free w/ your subscription. It's handy when I misplace the paper copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep meaning to sign up with my subscription...thanks for the reminder :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Ooh, thanks for sharing about Magnificat. I remember someone mentioning it somewhere before, but the thought of getting jumbled thoughts somewhat ordered sounds lovely.

    We're in Texas and it's hot and humid. Pictures of my loved ones in the northern states wearing sweaters has me feeling a tinge of envy.

    Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I'm so ready for a little sweater weather! I love how the magnificat has prayers to say throughout the day and gets me off my phone....I read so much on my iPhone, that it's nice to have a little book to hold :) xoxo

      Delete
  3. I watch too much TV... Ray Donanvan, Two Broke Girls, Perception, Revolution, Banshee, Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, Grimm, White Collar, The Following, Mom, Babby Daddy, Outlander, Elementary, Extant, Homeland, Rizzoli & Isles, The Americans, If you can get on netfilx older seasons: The mentalist, The White Queen, Almost human, intelligence, chuck, Merlin, Leverage, the finder, Lie To Me, Surviving Jack.... ya.. too much tv...thank goodness for TIVO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha....well, I didn't list all the shows I watch either. But you do watch a few that I've never heard of....will definitely have to check them out! I watch Homeland too (and Vampire Diaries!)

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design