37/52: Critique

Sunday, September 14, 2014
IMG_9841-11 IMG_0805-9 IMG_9777-10

One of the things I miss most about the days when I was in school taking photography classes is the critique. I loathed when it was my turn for my photographs to be blasted in front of the class and to be told everything that was wrong with them. Sure, there was a lot of subjectivity involved, but when you are amongst people whose art you respect, it's one of the only ways you can really grow as a photographer. I guess that's what I've been desiring lately....to become better. With photography...and in life.

I'm struggling right now with how to best discipline my child who has a very choleric temperament. I just ordered this book on kids and temperaments, and I'm hoping it will offer some insights. My kids are always revealing the ways in which I need to try harder and be a better parent. I don't really like it too much, but hopefully, I'll become a tiny bit better than I once was. Just like the photography critiques...the growth doesn't usually happen unless it starts with a side of humility and a desire to know the areas that need improvement.

"A portrait of my kids, once a week, every week, in 2014"
  

8 comments:

  1. I love the top photo, what a dainty little love! Oh I hear you re the discipline, that's my struggle right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, your photos are beautiful! I'm right there with you on the parenting and ordered that book this week as well. Let's hope it provides lots of insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy that you ordered that book too.....most of my friends here have read it and all recommend it. One of my friends is going to send me a podcast that a priest did on Temperaments that is suppose to be really good...I'll post it here if I find it really helpful (I'm sure it will be). And I'll be emailing you back soon....I don't know where the time has gone this week?!?!? xoxox

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with missing critiques! There's something so wonderful about having a community of artists around me who are willing to sit and stare at the same painting (or photograph. Or print. Or sculpture) for half an hour and just tear it apart….but then come up with brilliant ideas of what to do next that can help it get better! I've been out of school now for (…long pause as I try to calculate the years…) FOUR years. Yikes. How has it been so long?!?? I haven't painted in that time, but I HAVE worked non-stop on photography, so that makes me feel good. :) I've been toying with the idea of starting an online group for critiques - a private forum of sorts in which a few people can critique each others' work. Not sure if it would work, but it might shake things up for me, which would be good!
    xox
    giedre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...if you think 4 years is long, it's been 8 years for me (maybe 9?). I really do love critiques too! Let me know if you do start a group!! xoxoxox

      Delete
  4. I love all of the photos you capture! The moments, personality, and heart are visible and lovely. I pray I can end up taking photos that come close to you and Britt :) And, I have a difficult one too (or maybe two difficults? ...on my bad days). Going to look in on that book you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda--that is so sweet! Thank you for your kind words :) I've had so many friends tell me about the Temperament books (there's also one called, "The Temperament God gave your spouse) and how good they are! I also have a friend who is sending me a podcast that a priest did about temperaments too....if I like it, I'll try and post it here.

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design