Merci, Ya'll | Austin, Texas

Saturday, August 16, 2014
A few weeks ago I stepped off a plane, and hopped into our faithful Odyessey. I hate flying. Like, order-vodka-as-soon-as-I get-on-the-plane-and-spend-the-entire-time-convincing-myself-it-won't-crash-hate. Which made greeting my family in the minivan feel like finding a pot of gold. Even if Dominic was screaming. Still, jackpot!   

 Alright, let's talk about Texas.

I had this assumption I would return home well rested. That's what happens when you have a weekend away without kids, right? Not this time! But it's ok because there was a cocktail party with crazy shoes, 6th Street in downtown Austin (which really was quite weird), karaoke, dance parties, late nights, margaritas, good food, and beautiful talks about being a Mother. Especially about being a Catholic Mother. (Sara's post is my favorite recap of the weekend).


Many of the women who attended the Edel Gathering were bloggers, and this opportunity provided a chance to meet, in person. It sounds funny to say that, "in person." But I think it's safe to say that in this time and place, "meeting people on the internet" isn't all that strange anymore. It was awesome to see the connection between e-friends who now became friends in real life.

For the past few years, I mainly followed photography related blogs. It's only been in the last year that I came to adore, follow, and love blogs of women who shared a passion for their faith and families. So many women have shared their stories of conversion, their struggles in Mothering, and it has often been balm to my weary soul. Dramatic much? Maybe. But just knowing that there are other mothers out there, in the trenches of day-to-day life with small children, that has made this housewife feel not so alone. Or weird. This vocation of ours is beautifully sanctifying, and it's a joy to virtually discover this e-world of Catholic bloggers. 

But then a funny thing happened. In the weeks that followed, I couldn't help but feel this strange mixture of feelings. It was uncomfortable. It was like a mix of inspired, insecure, motivated and doubtful. With a little OCD thrown in. I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. I had just returned from this wonderful weekend, shouldn't I be on some type of Mom High?   

I prayed. I talked to friends. And then it started to make sense.

Here's the thing. It's hard not to feel just a little overwhelmed in a room with over 200 women. And I do mean overwhelmed in all the best possible ways. But I left wishing that I could have gotten to know people a little better. It's a good problem to have really. 

Which is where blogging comes into the picture.... and the topic of blogging, I realized, was also the source of a lot of those uncomfortable feelings. 

After Edel, I'd sit down at my beloved laptop to work on this little ol' blog and I'd start to think, "Why am I doing this? I can't keep up! Maybe I'm too much of an Over-Thinker to be a Blogger? I should probably shut it down and just refer to it as That One Time I Tried To be a Blogger. But I want to make some blogging friends. Why am I doing this again?" And so it went. 

And you know what I realized through all that Over Thinking? I really do like having this space to write and share pictures! It's fun! It's challenging! There may not have been enough time in two days to get to know 200 women, but the friendships don't have to stop at Edel. Through blogging, Instagram, Facebook, we're all getting to know each other a little better....until next year, when hopefully we can meet up again. Karaoke Round 2 is waiting for us.       






    

^^ Merci, Ya'll - I liked the way This Austin Crepe restaurant said Thank You :) 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and love your beautiful blog! Even though we met briefly at Edel I'm glad I get to continue to know you and your beautiful family more through your space! And again, your photos - Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design