7 Quick Takes | 9 Years, Zebras, The Fruits of Edel, and Infirmaries.

Saturday, August 30, 2014
Linking up with Jen for 7 Quick Takes. Go see her blog for more 7QT's. 

1.) We celebrated 9 years of marriage this past week! One day I'll write out the story of how we met, but for now, I gave a cliff notes version over on Instagram. We started the day off with a coffee date, ran errands, went out to eat, then met up with a dear friend at the new Rick's Dessert Diner, followed by a beer at a local bar. Much of this past year was spent deprived of sleep, and I think this may have been the 2nd date we've had in a year (I know!), so the entire day was simple and perfect.     



(a fav photo from our wedding)

2.) Speaking of love stories, about 10 years ago when Ryan and I were still dating, we thought it would be fun to see if we could read each others minds. Are we the only ones that have tried this? We both decided that we would close our eyes and think of an animal....a few seconds later, we both shouted at the same time, "Zebra!" Isn't that weird...and also kinda cool? When we were describing the images that popped up in our minds, they were the exact same. It's okay if you think we're totally nuts. So zebras have always been part of our inside jokes and it's a memory we're quite fond of.


3.) Last month when I went to the Edel Gathering, I was looking forward to meeting (in real life) my friend Mary. Right before she was suppose to leave, her boys got sick and she had to cancel. Not long after, we discovered that she grew up in Sacramento, and would be visiting soon. Perfect! We would still be able to meet! Fast forward to yesterday and we met up at a park along with one of my friends (who will hopefully be coming to Edel next year) and had the best time. Mary is so delightful and just the sweetest. The fruits of Edel continue! 


4.) A new school year means another discernment process of whether we're being called to homeschool again or have the kids back in school. Over the summer we decided to keep Riley at (the very best) school she's been at for the last year and a half. Luke is doing a couple days of preschool this year too. I was really nervous about him doing a few hours of school per week, because he doesn't like to try new things, but so far it's going well. Also, because we're such amazing parents. we slept through all 3 of our alarms on the first day of school, and our kids were late.     




5.) I finished reading, What Alice Forgot, a few weeks ago and I loved it! It's a mix of chick-lit with some more serious themes about marriage. I could not put it down! It's about a woman (named Alice) who accidentally hits her head at the gym, and when she wakes up, she's lost the past 10 years of her life. The last thing she remembers is being madly in love with her husband, is pregnant with their first child, and her sister is her best friend. She comes to find out that she now has 3 children, is in the process of divorcing her husband, and the relationship she has with her sister isn't the same. There are so many great themes in this book and I kept thinking about what I would be like if I woke up and lost the past 10 years. I also read that it's going to be made into a movie next year. Highly recommend! 


6.) We celebrated Riley's birthday a few weeks ago at Disneyland. And do you know what happened??? Everyone in our fam ended up sick the week leading up to our departure. Ryan and I cleaned up a lot of nastiness that week...is there anything worse than cleaning up vom all over the car? The kids got better pretty quickly, and then the night before we were heading for The Happiest Place on Earth, the plague hit both of us. This was the only day we could go, so canceling wasn't an option. We loaded up on Advil, and prayed we'd make it though the day. Ryan felt a lot better, but by mid-day, I started to feel worse. I didn't want to leave the park, so we decided the Infirmary would be a good place to go. It was really nice! I took a 2 hour nap, and when I woke, felt 100% better. I can't decide what the moral of this story is...but just know that if you ever get sick at Disneyland, Mickey Mouse has got your back and will take good care of you in the Infirmary. 


7.) Doing anything fun this labor day weekend? We're planning on going with friends to their cabin...but considering our track record with sickness and fun trips, I'll let you know next week if we actually make it. Happy Labor Day! 


  

3 comments:

  1. #5

    I always have a nightmare like that, and forgot the pass 20 years which means not knowing !y husband/kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few similar dreams...it's the worst!!!

      Delete
  2. How am I just seeing this now????! Regardless of that, I'm still so grateful we had that little sliver of time to be moms together. :) And. That wedding picture is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design