June 2014

Monday, June 30, 2014
Of course!! I just sat down for the evening, grabbed a glass of wine, turned on my laptop to update this little blog and what do you know? The baby woke up! How do they always know to wake up right when you relax?!? 

I'll be right back...off to nurse the baby back to dreamland.

Ok, I'm back. Thank you Lesley for introducing me to this linkup. Seems like a nice little way to document the happenings around here.




Books: June was a good month for books. I read two books that had a pretty big impact on me and it's been many years since I've read a few books that were this influential. I'm not quite ready to articulate in words my thoughts about why I love these books so much, but I'd still like to share. First, is Evelyn Waugh's Classic, Brideshead Revisited. The first half of the book, I wasn't sure I liked it all that much. I didn't understand all the hype, but by the end, I knew it was one of the best books I had ever read. I was delighted to read a few weeks ago that even Modern Mrs. Darcy says if she had to pick, it may just be her favorite book. I can definitely see why she put it on her list as one of those books you read over and over again. 

The other book I read was Jennifer Fulwiler's memoir, Something Other than God: How I passionately sought Happiness and Accidentally found it. I love Memoirs and have been a huge fan of Jen's blog for the past few years. She's funny, relatable, and is able to convey complex topics in a way that is easy to understand. I read this book in 2 days which I haven't done with a book in years! The title of her book is from a C.S Lewis quote that says, "All that we call human history...[is] the long, terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." If you like memoirs, conversion stories, and good writing, I highly recommend it! 

Music: When I upgraded my cell phone plan earlier this month (through Sprint), I got a free 6 month subscription to Spotify Premium. I am loving it! So basically this month, I've been checking out all of their pre-made playlists depending on my mood. When I wake up in the morning, I usually put on the "Nora Jones" radio station, and then in the afternoon or when I go to the gym, I put on the dance mixes. To be honest, I started to feel my age because I've never heard 90% of the trendy dance songs out there. My club days are most definitely over.

Food: Two things come to mind here. First, since Riley is on summer break, we've all been eating breakfast and lunch together at the table (doesn't happen during the school year) and it has been SO nice! We've had the best conversations! That time we spend discussing and learning is definitely one of the things I miss most about homeschooling her. The second thing is that tonight I ordered pastured pork and chicken from our favorite farm. We've only ordered beef from them, so I'm looking forward to getting some fresh chicken and bacon. 

Tv/Movies: Most of my favorite shows are on summer break, but the other day, a friend got me hooked on The Duggars reality show. I am obsessed! I just started season 1 a few days ago and I'm so intrigued! How do they do it all? They're all so joyful! Is it just me, or does Michelle Duggar have such a nice sounding voice? Tonight I started to get mad at Ryan (for something really stupid) and all I kept thinking was, "I bet Michelle Duggar wouldn't react like this." and I stopped and apologized to him! I can't wait to watch all the seasons!

Wearing: I have a confession to make! I use to never understand why girls/moms would wear their yoga clothes all day, but I get it now! I recently signed up for a gym, and had a gift card to Nordy's and splurged on some nicer gym clothes, and I never want to take them off!

A few of my favorite purchases from June: See above. Also, Trader Joe's Margarita Mix.

Things I loved in June: We did so much celebrating in June! Luke's 4th birthday, Ryan's 35th birthday, and Dominic's 1st birthday! And especially these past 2 weeks, I have loved having Riley home on summer break! We haven't done anything crazy, or taken any vacations, but have spent a lot of peaceful days at home and at the pool! It's kinda perfect!

Things I learned in June: 

1.) Setting a few timers on my iPhone throughout the day to remind us to pray was a really good idea.
2.) I need to work on being content in my current home. I love my home, but there are some things really driving me crazy lately.
3.) I finally made this 2 ingredient pancake recipe and it was a lot better than I expected. It has become a staple breakfast in our home.  Also, I really like The Ma Books blog. 





  


  

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of the Duggars. Michelle is something to reckon with when it comes to living with and enjoying your family. Lol with the yoga pants fascination. Comfortable works. Period. Love the picture of you and the little up top. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and sweet words! Gotta love Michelle Duggar and comfort clothes!

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design